Official Statistics on crimes and offences recorded by the police in Scotland for September 2020 have been published. The number of crimes recorded by the police in Scotland was 4% lower in September 2020 than in September 2019, reducing from 20,405 to 19,684.
Over the same time period:
- Non-sexual crimes of violence were 17% lower (decreasing from 851 to 704 crimes).
- Sexual crimes were 4% higher (increasing from 1,143 to 1,185 crimes).
- Crimes of dishonesty were 9% lower (reducing from 8,980 to 8,139 crimes).
- Fire-raising, vandalism etc. were 5% lower (reducing from 4,003 to 3,812 crimes).
- Other crimes were 8% higher (increasing from 5,428 to 5,844 crimes).
- Fewer crimes were recorded by the police in 19 (59%) out of 32 local authorities.